Friday, December 16, 2005

REFERENCE: MUSIC - Opera - 'Madama Butterfly' by Giacomo Puccini


Opera in Three Acts by Giacomo Puccini based on the play 'Madama Butterfly' by David Belasco 1900.
After the stories by John Luther Long - 'Madam Butterfly - 1898' and Pierre Loti 'Madame Chrisanthème - 1887'
First Performed: La Scala, Milan, Italy, on February 17th, 1904.

'Madama Butterfly' was my first opera and since them one of my favourites, I’m crazy about both duets: The first duet 'Viene la sera' at the ends of Act One which Pinkerton dries Butterfly tears and as they stand in the moonlit garden gazing at the stars, here they discover their love for each other.
The second duet called ‘Tutti I fior’ or flower duet (act II) is magnificent, there Cio-Cio-San (Butterfly) instructs Suzuki to help her distribute flower petals all over the house in preparation of Pinkerton's arrival.
The aria ‘Un Bel dì, vedremo’ is beautiful but isn’t my favourite Puccini’s one, nevertheless is interesting to remark that Rita Moss’s JUST A DREAM AGO was one of my favourite songs when I was a child.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home